An APA Sports Physiotherapist is a highly qualified professional with expert knowledge and skills in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of sport injuries. In addition they are experts in movement analysis and exercise prescription.
An APA Sports Physiotherapist has completed at least four years of university studies and has a comprehensive knowledge of anatomy, biomechanics, physiology, crisis management, assessment and treatment of joint and muscle condition. In addition, an APA Sports Physiotherapist has undertaken further studies specifically in the management of sports injury.
An APA Sports Physiotherapist is a member of the Australian Sports Physiotherapy Association (APA) and is bound by its professional Code of Conduct. They have undergone a rigorous selection process to ensure that they have the level of experience and knowledge t be awarded the title.
Today the title serves as the professional mark of specialization and distinction for physiotherapists practicing in the field of sports physiotherapy.
APA Sports Physiotherapists Treat sports people of all ages and abilities, recreational to elite athletes, athletes with disabilities, teams and individuals.
An APA Sports Physiotherapist can:
- Optimize your return to sports after injury
- Resolve chronic pain and prevent further injury
- Enhance your sporting performance and sports technique
- Increase your flexibility, muscle control and strength
- Educate you on how to self-manage your condition
APA Sports Physiotherapists are highly trained and experienced in:
- Crisis management, enabling them to take immediate care of injuries on the field – all have Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid certificates
- Providing skilled diagnosis of sporting injuries
- Correcting muscle imbalances and posture
- Prescribing exercise programs for specific injuries
- Biomechanical analysis of sports technique to improve sports performance and prevent injury
- Providing education about injury management, prevention and maximizing sporting performance
- Designing stretching programs for teams and individuals
- Advising on appropriate warm up, cool down and recovery programs
- Providing musculoskeletal screening and injury prevention programs
- The provision and co ordination of physiotherapy coverage at sporting events from club to international competitions
- Liasing with coaches and members of the allied health care team to ensure a coordinated approach to maximize your performance
APA Sports Physiotherapists emphasize ‘hands on’ management of your sporting condition.